Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Uninvited

"Someone Like You" By Adele makes me wander off to a simpler time that was filled with lust, laughter and new emotions.

I fell in love for the first time when I was about 21. 

You were confident and persuasive with your intentions.  Charming and charismatic men were not really what I thought of as my “type.” 
We split after way too short of a time together.  Circumstances and the stars didn’t align.  I contemplated a search once I’d moved a little closer to you.  Time and alcohol convinced me it wasn’t a great idea.  Time brought more men my way.  I fell in love again and married.  But you were never far from my thoughts.  Ever. 
You found me first.  Evidence that you thought of me often too?  But again, circumstances and the stars were out of alignment. Way out of alignment this time. 
Years passed.  Years that should have rightfully erased your face, laugh, touch and proclamations of love. 
The stars aligned and bit and pieces of information fell into place.  I found you next.  With a lump in my throat and an unfamiliar giddiness, I made contact.  You remembered.
Old friend, why are you so shy?
Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light.
It felt wrong.  Probably mutually. 
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
Over yes, finished no.  I had questions that I held back.  Best not to ask if you’d really loved me once upon that time.  Did you think about me over those years when the stars were out of alignment?  When circumstances dragged us apart.  I didn’t ask.  I made one simple statement that said it all and you responded in kind.  It was a mundane statement. 

I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
Do you have things you want to say or ask?  Or are you feeling the past is where it belongs.

I remember you said,

Until you and I are together again, nothing else matters

You know how the time flies
Only yesterday was the time of our lives
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise of our glory days
It was fun.  We laughed and loved.  You told me to “deal with it” the first time you told me.  We came close. Probably best that we didn’t, but I’ve sometimes wondered what if.

Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment