angry, crazy, foolish, confused, merry, rabid, enthusiastic. That's me and that's what I write about.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Some Thoughts on this Day...
Gerald Ford's words, "Our long national nightmare is over" Indeed.Although Ford was talking about Nixon, it seems true on this day as well. I remember Nixon's resignation in 1974. I was 9 and home sick from school. I remember my mom crying. I didn't understand her tears. Still don't. She was a Republican, lol. I am not. I wonder how that would be playing out today, lol. I still think that Nixon didn't do anything that no one else has done or will do. But I digress. Today, I am home with a sick kid. Watching another historial presidential event unfold. I'm sorry she feels icky, but I'm so glad to be watching things live. I have to run out and get 2 newspapers, one for each daughter. I do comprehend the overwhelming feelings that black people are feeling today. I however am not seeing it that way at all. I see a man who is of my generation. I don't see a black man at all. I did not vote for a black man. I voted for a man I believe in. I believe in his rhetoric. Yes, it's rhetoric, I'm not that innocent to not know he won't keep all his promises. I'm already a bit disappointed he wants to participate in the bail outs. I hope his presidency doesn't serve to seperate the races more. I hope it brings us together and that we no longer celebrate for different reasons. I hope we'll celebrate because he does a good job, regardless of his skin color. I was born after the Civil Rights movements. Perhaps that's why I don't see color? I dated a black man at one point. Perhaps that's why I don't see color? My kids have a rainbow of friends. Perhaps that's why I don't see color? I see people. I see an adorable, fun, loving family with parents who value education. I see a grandma moving in to keep her babies grounded. I see a gorgeous, tall woman who is built like a woman, smiling and standing with her husband and loving her mom and kids. I wish them all well and I hope they will be safe and healthy. I hope the girls get to be girls. I hope the agent who gets assigned to the youngest daughter isn't drop dead exhausted at the end of each day, lol.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do agree with this (eventhough *gasp* I didn't vote for the man).
ReplyDeleteI wish people would stop saying things like "The First Black President" or "The Frist African American President". Get over it already! He is just as much white and he is black...and who cares anyway?!? I'll tell ya...Mr. Obama would win TONS of respect from me if he were to address the media and let it be known that he never again wants to be referred to as a "Black" man or anything like that...that he is an AMERICAN plain and simple...no color involved....and then to have any and all references to race eliminated from all job applications, insurance forms, etc.
That would say alot.
I think if he comes through on half his promises, we'll be doing good! No matter what your beliefes are, you cannot deny that we ARE watching history in the making!